Joomla is simple to install and try on your own computer (we refer to this as localhost), using tools available freely on the internet. Today we'd like to introduce "Joomla Jumpbox".
Here are some random things you should consider:
- You can run multiple instances of Joomla in as many Jumpboxes as you please.
- Do you have a number of clients you are developing website for at the same time? Why not run each of them in their own Jumpbox.
- Do you just want to see if Joomla is for you? Install Joomla in Jumpbox and if it's not for you just delete it. No need to install it on your web server.
- Do you want to take you Joomla site with you and work on it without an internet connection? Use Jumpbox for Joomla.
- Do you want to do local development and then upload your completed site to a live webserver later? Joomla Jumpbox will be perfectly suited to your needs then.
You can download and find out more about Jumpbox for Joomla here: www.jumpbox.com/app/joomla15
Joomla 1.5 Template InstallationThis guide takes you through the necessary steps to install your new JooMagic template into Joomla! 1.5 and making it the default install on your website.
Downloading the Template FilesThe initial step is to download all the necessary and/or available files from JooMagic.com. This can just be the archived template file or a full install wizard, complete with demo content.
- Template File: This file is the template package you will use to install your template into Joomla. This usually has the suffix .tgz or .zip.
- Template Extensions As a JooMagic Template Club Member, you may find that there is an offer of additional extensions with your new Template. These usually are in a .zip format. Information about the modules is generally available in our downloads section.
- Template Fonts If the templatecalls for a specific font, it too is generally provided in our downlaod section
Installing the Template into Joomla 1.5To install the template into your Joomla site, follow these steps:
- Go to your Admin control panel for your site. In the Menu at the top, go to Extensions > Install/Uninstall. Next browse for your JooMagic Template file you downloaded and then click Upload File & Install. Now the template is installed and in your template list.
- Next, from your admin control panel, go to Extensions > Template Manager. This will pull up the list of your installed templates. Find the template on the list and select the radio button to the left and then click Default up in the top right corner. Now the template is set as your default template. If you view your site, you should see the template up and running.
Joomla 1.5 JooMagic Installation Wizard
With our Joomla! installation wizard you can instantly create a Joomla! site complete with custom content that is a perfect replica of our demo sites that has been professionally tuned to look its best, all with just a few clicks. Our install wizard package consists of a full 1.5.x Joomla! install, complete with all of the demo images, content, modules, and extensions. By running the installer, your Joomla! site will be set up with all everything needed to create an exact implementation of the demo site automatically.
Download the Install Wizard
The initial step is to download the Wizard itself. The packages are contained within the download section on the JooMagic.com website where you find the templates and extensions. Each Install Wizard pack is located within the corresponding template section.
Once in the appropriate section, select the download button for Wizard Package. A pop-up will appear allowing you to save the package to your computer. It is best to download it to an applicable folder.
Extract the Install Wizard package
Now that the Wizard package is downloaded, we need to extract the archive. A range of tools can do this such as 7-Zip. The process is almost identical with all extractors.
To extract to your local machine:
- Right click on the Wizard package
- Select one of the options for extraction - there are usually different options, but it is easiest to extract the archive to your desktop.
- Select Extract
- Wait for extraction to be completed
To extract through your hosting cPanel
- Login to your hosting account cPanel
- Select File Manager
- If necessary create a folder for your install
- Upload the zip file to the desired directory folder
- Extract the zip file
Uploading the extracted Install Wizard package
We can proceed to the upload step. The idea behind this is to use an upload tool or FTP client such as Filezilla.
- Open the FTP client.
- Insert your ftp host address, usually, ftp.yoursite.com
- Enter your ftp username
- Enter your password
- Click Connect
- Locate the extracted packaged on your computer in the left pane
- Open the extracted folder and select the files inside
- Drag and drop the selected files into the right pane which is your web server
The speed of transfer varies with hosting server speed and your internet connection speed. It is best to upload the extracted folder to the public_html or in some servers it is called the httpdocs directory.
Creating The Database
While you are uploading the files to your server, it is time to create your MySQL database. The database is where your Joomla! files and images for your site are stored. You need to login to your hosting account cPanel to create your database. Normally you would use phpMyAdmin to create the database. Be sure to save your information from your database because you will need it when you install Joomla! Please contact your webhost if you need help creating your Joomla! database.
Installing the package
Once the Joomla! files have finished uploading, we can now run the Joomla! installer to install the Wizardonto your web server.
- Start the installer
Enter the following link into your web browser, changing the names to reflect your domain name and title of the uploaded install wizard pack.
You will then be presented with the initial language page to Install Wizard. Read through the documentation and select your default language from the list. Then choose the next button.
- Pre-installation Check Page
The next step of the installer is the Pre-installation Check page. This is a check list of all the variables to make Joomla! work on your website. You must make sure that all variables are green. For information on the error message, browse the Joomla! forums
- License Page
The next page is about the license for Joomla. It is best to read to understanding the GNU GPL license for Joomla.
Once you are finished reading the terms of the license, choose Next
- Database Info Page
The following page is where you enter your database information for MySQl. You will need to have your
- Host address, usually localhost
- MySQL username, which you can get from your hosting provider
- MySQL password, which you can get from your hosting provider
- Database name, which you can get from your hosting provider
- MySQL table prefix, if this is your first Joomla site, keep it the same but if you have multiple installs of Joomla, change this.
Once that is complete, select next.
- Admin Settings Page
On this page, you can enter your ftp details, although it is not a required step.
- Main Configuration
This is where you enter the title of your site, your admin e-mail and password. Write this information down so you do not forget it. Now, in order to get your new Wizardto look like our demo site, you must click the Install Sample Data button!
Congratulations! Joomla! is now installed. The final step is to use your ftp client and remove the installation folder. Once you do that, you can begin editing your site.